please restore Sun XVR video drivers, and add the latest one [was Re: Debian Sparc 5.4 on Sun blade 2500]

Package: linux-2.6
Version: 2.6.32-9

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 03:24:37PM -0700, David Miller wrote:
> > Josip, please make sure this gets fixed, please get my
> > sunxvr1000 driver added (attached) and then add:
> >
> > CONFIG_FB_XVR500=y
> > CONFIG_FB_XVR2500=y
> > CONFIG_FB_XVR1000=y
> >
> > to the config for sparc64.
>
> Ok, further checking shows that lenny has XVR500 and XVR2500
> enabled (doing a test install with a XVR-500 card right now)
> but testing doesn't.

Indeed, they seem to have gone missing somehow from
debian/config/sparc/config where there's just:

# CONFIG_FB_LEO is not set
# CONFIG_FB_S1D13XXX is not set

whereas in the same source we have arch/sparc/configs/sparc64_defconfig
where there's:

# CONFIG_FB_LEO is not set
CONFIG_FB_XVR500=y
CONFIG_FB_XVR2500=y
# CONFIG_FB_S1D13XXX is not set

I'm filing a bug report with this message, thanks for the exact hint.

As for the new driver that Dave mentioned as an attachment, it's
already in mainline at:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=2d378b9179881b46a0faf11430efb421fe03ddd8
That should apply pretty easily to .32 stable.

I'm not sure offhand what the Debian policy is about tracking linux-stable
vs. adding new code, but either way this seems pretty uncontroversial -
it's a separate new driver which won't hurt any existing users, because
its OF match of "SUNW,gfb" simply does not overlap with anything else
in drivers/video/.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.