improved workaround (was: [...] SPARC SunBlade 2000 fails to find disks: ql2200_fw.bin not found, "Firmware image unavailable." (kernel 2.6.26, Debian lenny))

Hi,

Op Sat  6 Feb 2010 om 06:31:13 +0100 schreef Josip Rodin:
> On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 01:40:22AM +0100, Joost van Baal wrote:
> > I believe creating a file /etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/qla2xxx with
> > contents
> >
> >  #!/bin/sh
> >  modprobe -r qla2xxx
> >  modprobe qla2xxx
> >
> > and running
> >
> >  # update-initramfs -k all -u
> >
> > would work around the need to run these commands each boot in initramfs shell.
> > Unfortunately had no time to implement and test that.
>
> A similar hook already exists once you install firmware-qlogic.

I am running with firmware-qlogic version 0.14+lenny2, which indeed includes
/usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/firmware_qlogic .  This however does not lead
to a modprobe-call being executed in the initramfs boot sequence.

I've executed the plan I've suggested above at february 6.  This indeed works
around the problem.

> Add the -v
> option to update-initramfs, and look for references to that in the output.

Ye, I've also "cpio -i"-d the generated initramfs, which gave me some insight.
Thanks for the hints anyway!

Bye,

Joost

--