Re: rsc device on SunFire 480/880 for mgetty in debian ?

From: Hermann Lauer <Hermann.Lauer@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 11:19:32 +0100

> Dear all,
>
> what device did I need to put into /etc/inittab to get a
> getty on a serial console redirected to the rsc card ? For serialA
> this is:
>
>  T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 9600 vt102
>
> At the moment the openprom messages and all linux boot messages are
> redirected to the rsc card, but of course no login appears - this is still
> on the serialA port.

The RSC serial devices aren't even being detected on your system.
So you can fiddle all day lone with getty settings and it won't
help :-)

The problem is that your kernels aren't detect the RSC serial device
properly.  So you won't be able to do any console input properly when
using the RSC as your console.

I tried everything possible on the test system you gave me access to,
and when I force it to use PROM console for output so I can see all
the kernel messages, it is clear that the RSC serial ports are not
detected.

I also tried forcing "console=ttyS2" (ttyS0 and ttyS1 are the non-RSC
serial ports when your system boots), just to make sure I wasn't
simply missing the RSC port detection kernel messages.  That didn't
work either.

That's why I need some other mechanism to boot test kernels (tftp,
etc.) in order to help you out to fix the bootup hang.  And while
doing so I can debug this RSC serial problem too.

FWIF, the CONFIG_SERIAL_SUNSU driver is supposed to detect and run the
RSC serial ports.