Debian "Lenny" with graphics, interim hack

I had an extended session last weekend trying out various combinations of installing Lenny on an Ultra-1 trying to find a good way of having reliable graphics. This describes an interim hack that might be of use to people who through inexperience or workload can't start fiddling around with individual packages- frankly, I'm in that category.

My experience is that v5.0 (let's call this 5.0.0) is reliable, while 5.0.1 (5.0r1) has broken graphics. This affects a local X display, X over the LAN, and VNC, and I've not been able to fix it by booting an older kernel.

As of last weekend, doing a default installation from either a 5.0.0 or 5.0.1 ISO, with updates from the Debian repositories, fails.

Using a 5.0.0 ISO, installing as default but /not/ permitting installation to access a network mirror, results in a working system. I'd qualify that by saying that I was using the KDE-only variant, I've not tested the Gnome one recently.

Without selecting a mirror at installation time there is no repository specified in /etc/apt/sources.list, so packages that aren't on CD can't be installed. Simply adding a repository isn't safe: the system will self-destruct as soon as apt-get upgrade is run.

As a workaround, I find that doing this (after installing without using a mirror) is effective. First, create a file /etc/apt/preferences containing

-----8<-----
Package: *
Pin: release a=stable,v=5.0
Pin-Priority: 1001

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable,v=5.0.0
Pin-Priority: 1001

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable,v=5.0.1
Pin-Priority: -1

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable,v=5.0r1
Pin-Priority: -1
----->8-----

Second, edit /etc/apt/sources.list to be something like

-----8<-----
#
# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.0 _Lenny_ - Official sparc kde-CD Binary-1 20090215-05:47]/ lenny main

deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.0 _Lenny_ - Official sparc kde-CD Binary-1 20090215-05:47]/ lenny main

deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ lenny main
deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ lenny main

deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main

# deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main
# deb-src http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main
----->8-----

preferably using a suitable local mirror.

Together, those two configuration files "pin" Debian down at 5.0.0, the system will survive an apt-get upgrade (but not necessarily a dist-upgrade).

Unfortunately this also means that while the system can see the repositories it can't install packages that aren't on the CD in their most-recent form. In order to do this it is necessary to rename /etc/apt/preferences, e.g.

cd /etc/apt/preferences
mv preferences preferences~
apt-get install build-essential gdb
cp preferences~ preferences

This has allowed me to put together a working system sufficient to demonstrate Lenny on SPARC, and to have some confidence that I can install packages onto another that I make available to another open-source project.

If anybody can improve that preferences file so that it pins the version down but allows installation of 5.0.0 packages I for one would be very interested to know about it.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk