Re: dmfe/tulip kernel module poll

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 02:28:59PM -0500, Brian Thompson wrote:
In my opinion that would also be a satisfactory solution. I believe it
would complicate things though for those who need to use the dmfe
module along with that particular PCI ID (possibly DEC alpha users?).
It would be better if we can figure out a way to disable the dmfe
module for that PCI ID on sparc without affecting other architectures.

Well, the preprocessor seems to be the right tool here.  #ifndef
__sparc__ or #ifdef __alpha__ are distinct possibilities.

That's true from an technical electrical perspective but there's also
"supported" NICS and then there are NICS who's support on sparc
was an afterthought. The issue mainly comes into play when trying to
do a "boot net" from OBP, etc...

This is true, but also a red herring.  Once Linux boots, whether "boot
net" works or not is irrelevant, since there's already a kernel (and
initramfs, if needed) loaded.  I will agree that some people may be more
likely to purchase cards that support OBP configuration, but those are
by no means the only cards used in sparc machines.

I'm all for adding and keeping support for as many different NICs
as possible but not when it causes a problem for native on-board
ethernet.

Debian could ship a default configuration that blacklists dmfe on sparc,
as well.  Or it could be documented in the release notes that users of
those machines will need to blacklist dmfe manually.  udev does seem to
honor blacklists when loading modules, and those people that aren't
using udev will likely know not to load those conflicting modules.

Maybe the solution is somewhere in the middle... Seems the ideal
situation would be for the dmfe kernel module to be built and installed
on sparc by default but not enabled/mapped. That way someone
who does want to use it would only have to make some minor text
file changes instead of having to actually compile the module, but
again, I'm not sure if there's a way to do that without affecting other
architectures.

I think it's quite possible to do any of these things.  I'll leave it up
to the Debian kernel team and the sparc porters to choose what is most
appropriate for the situation, as long as both modules are built and
installed on all machines that can support both cards.

+1 713 440 7475 | http://crustytoothpaste.ath.cx/~bmc | My opinion only
troff on top of XML: http://crustytoothpaste.ath.cx/~bmc/code/thwack