Re: dmfe/tulip kernel module poll

Brian Thompson wrote:
> Maybe the solution is somewhere in the middle... Seems the ideal
> situation would be for the dmfe kernel module to be built and installed
> on sparc by default but not enabled/mapped. That way someone
> who does want to use it would only have to make some minor text
> file changes instead of having to actually compile the module, but
> again, I'm not sure if there's a way to do that without affecting other
> architectures.

In a private precursor to this thread I've suggested something like this
to be implemented in the installer. It's not the nicest solution as we
generally very much prefer to have the (kernel/udev) autodetection system
just work, but when it's needed we can special case things.

The solution would be to blacklist both modules in modprobe by default for
the installer, check is a PCI ID is present that is covered by both
modules [1], and if that is the case display a dialog allowing the user
to choose (with possibly a most likely default set based on
architecture). The selected module could then be loaded and the other one
would remain blacklisted for the installed system.

Now all we need is someone willing to code that. It's all shell script, so
not terribly difficult. I'd be willing to mentor it.

Cheers,
FJP

[1] If a NIC is only supported by one of the modules, it should be loaded
and de-blacklisted automatically of course.