Re: Debian+KDE for SPARC

On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 08:53 +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> xorg.conf does get rewritten by an apt-get upgrade on x86 "Lenny", and

If so that's a pretty serious bug.  But I can't see how that could
happen in an etch->lenny upgrade, so any details (preferrably in a bug
report against xserver-xorg) would be appreciated.

> I've certainly seen that happen on SPARC with older versions. I know
> that DefaultDepth is what I want, but what I don't know is why the
> installer is setting it to the default 24 for hardware that doesn't have
> that capability.

We've stopped setting the depth in xorg.conf about a year ago.  Which
makes the driver responsible for picking the depth.  Unfortunately the
suncg6 driver doesn't seem to do that quite right; we have a fix sitting
in git since November 2007, but it looks like that was never uploaded.
*sigh*.  I'll try to get that fixed, thanks for pointing it out.

Cheers,
Julien