Re: Is it possible to update OBP while running Debian?

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 08:15:39AM -0400, Eric Nichols wrote:

> > You probably can also use dhcp boot with:
> >
> > {0} ok boot net:dhcp
> >
> > On the dhcp server set the bootfile and server parameters to the tftp server
> > containing the flash-update image.
> >
> > Worked like a charm here for a Sun Enterprise 450.
> >
> > Greetings
> >    Hermann
>
> Since we are on the subject.  Is it possible to upgrade OBP from linux rather
> than solaris?  All of my machines are surplus and I ended up going exclusively

Rarp/dhcp net booting uses no solaris - but also no linux ;-)

Under solaris for some kind of sparc machines you can get a flash utility
which works from a running Solaris OS. So at least for that systems, it
should be theoretical possible to upgrade OBP from linux, too.

But there are probably a lot of people with better knowledge about that stuff
in the solaris/opensolaris communities.

  Hermann

--
Netzwerkadministration/Zentrale Dienste, Interdiziplinaeres
Zentrum fuer wissenschaftliches Rechnen der Universitaet Heidelberg