Re: Lenny on Ultra 60

On 2008-02-17, Mark Morgan Lloyd <markMLl.debian-sparc@telemetry.co.uk> wrote:

> Looking good but two questions:
>
> a)  How do I get sound working?

My /etc/modules looks like this on my U5/10 and my recently acquired U60:

 ------------------------------------
# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
# at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.

loop
#
snd-sun-cs4231
snd-pcm-oss
 -----------------------------------

I still use aumix (OSS). You may not need the last module with alsa.
I'm not sure about other mixers, but aumix looks a bit strange with
Vol and CD always at 100% while controling the sound with Pcm and
Line1 respectively.

Also, using the external speaker out and line out, I disconnect the
internal speaker which I find much too loud.

> b)  Unlike Etch the installer correctly picks up the Creator 3D cards. The
> kernel displays to the first one and X initialises both- no fixes to
> configuration files required. However both Gnome and KDE display a separate
> desktop on each display: what's the correct way to either spread the desktop
> over both displays (Xinerama?) or switch the focus of the input devices
> between displays.
>
> Configuration is U60, 2x 450MHz, 2Gb, 2x Creator 3D.

Can't help here. I replaced a xvr600 (I couldn't get it to work with
Debian) with a Creator 3D, which works fine. I do have another one,
but haven't even tried installing it.

Regards,

Howard E.