Re: Debian on Sun box any advantage?

Hi everyone,

I have been following this interesting exchange, and I believe we must, first, agree on what are we finally trying to achieve.

Is our concern to manage by all means to make a clean Debian installation on SPARCs, or are we expecting to be able to put this combination to do something useful for the average user.

I believe we'll all agree that when it comes to reliability, SPARCs have a long established reputation. You just have to boot once a SPARC server and then you practically forget its existence...

The main problems appear when SPARCs must, for some reason, be used as workstations with Debian.

Although a succesful installation on an older machine can be a rewarding experience, we have to face reality and be aware that in the current industrial context, people are not interested to know how complex and difficult an installation was; all they want to know is if working on an older machine will help them do their job fast, or more reliably.

Besides, at the current price level of new PCs, money-saving by keeping older machines is becoming irrelevant; it's mostly a question of principle, of not throwing away machines just because they happen not to be last-generation...

I personnally find the Xorg issues with U5/U10 and Blades quite frustrating; could somebody among those who have managed to succesfully install (and work...) with a Blade100+/Debian, spend some time in writing a summary describing the procedure he followed? I'm sure all of us would highly appreciate such a contribution...

And, in order not to appear grumpy, yes, I do believe in using Debian/Sparc!!

Regards,

Joseph