Re: qlogic fibre disks lenny sun blade 1000

On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 01:56:13PM +0200, Rudy Gevaert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having problems installing Lenny (also Etch) on a sun blade 1000.
> During installation the disks are not recognized.
>
> This is know problem as the firmware is in non-free.  For the
> installation I fix this by doing:
> udpkg -i firmware-qlogic-di_0.4+etchnhalf.1_all.udeb
> modprobe -r qla2xxx
> modprobe qla2xxx
>
> After the installation, but before reboot, I chroot into the new system.
>  And do the same.  Meaning installing the firmware-qlogic package from
> non-free.
>
> When I then reboot the system it still says it can't find the qlogic
> firmware!
>
> After some time I fall into the initramfs shell I can see that in
> /lib/firmware the firmware is available.
>
> If do
> modprobe -r qla2xxx
> modprobe qla2xxx
> my disks are recognized and I manually mount them.
>
> But now I'm stuck.

I'm pretty sure that your problems are due to the fact that the
firmware did not get included into the initramfs image which is loaded
before the root filesystem is mounted. Try running 'update-initramfs
-u' to regenerate the initramfs on disk, then it should work during
the next boot.

Cheers.
--
Jurij Smakov                                           jurij@wooyd.org