Re: Sparc Live CD

On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 20:51 -0400, Eric Nichols wrote:
> I would like to build a live CD for my Ultra 2 that will act as a static web
> server.  Basically everything would work in memory.  The perfect secure
> server.
For easy of maintenance I would have thought it would be worth exporting
(read only) some of the filesystem from another machine.  That way
updating the website / reconfiguring the web server can be done by
simply editing a file - you don't need to burn a new CD.  Also you may
wish to log to a network filesystem or set up syslog to log to another
machine.

If you have a look at the LSB you will see which parts of the filesystem
have to be writable and which can be mounted read only.

> However I have having difficulty trying to figure out how to build one using
> debian tools.  dfsbuild looked like the obvious choice but it does not support
> sparc.  I talked with the maintainer and the reason that sparc is not support
> is that is he simply does not have the hardware but was willing to accept
> patches to the project.
>
> I honestly am just an end-user in this endeavor but am willing to test anything.
> Can anyone assist?
Given that the install CDs are (basically) minimal live CDs, thus is
probably just a case of building things, little to no actual 'porting'
is likely required.  You're probably best off picking a script /
program / system that can either build an image from a running system or
from debian packages.  I believe a number of these exist, a few years
ago I the knoppix one was quite highly rated IIRC.

Beyond that - dive in and give it a go.  You are more likely to be able
to find material / documentation / assistance for any detailed problems
you encounter, then you are to be able to find general help.

One possibility would be to first build the image you want for x86
(documenting in detail what you did) and then try the same thing for
SPARC.  This should help separate problems with the tools from
portability issues.

HTH

Cheers,
 - Martin