Re: Ultra 10 install issue

Your mail is sadly lacking in any real info that could be used to actually
help you forward.

For what it's worth, I have an U10 myself with an ATI 3D Rage [0] on which
most Debian releases since Sarge have been successfully installed.

William Andrew Lawrence wrote:
> I have an Ultra 10 that can run Sun Solaris 8 with no issue. I could use
> the "sarge" install but it would fail in the middle of the install.

Exactly how did it fail? Did you file an installation report [1]? Did you
provide the syslog for the installation?

> Now I have 4.03 downloaded and trying to do a Net install.

I assume you mean 4.0r3.

> Sadly, nothing. I can install 4.03, but here is the issue, it looks like
> it is echoing the text, but offset by one character. Even after I finish
> the install, basically by hitting enter to default the whole process, the
> login screen comes up like this as well. I am including a link to a
> picture of it http://www.alawrence.net/linux/  it's the only photo in
> there. This happens after I get the welcome to screen and hit enter to
> install. it loads the 8MB kernel and I can read that fine then when the
> screen refreshes and has the penguin at the top it starts this echo issue

So it looks like there is a problem in the Linux kernel in the display
driver you are using.

> I know it has two video cards, the one I am using displays the whole

Exactly what video cards are they? Which one is the one that gets used?

> install process, nothing is being sent to that other video card. That was
> the first thing I checked. Then I have tried to pass parameters to the
> boot loader to not use the frame buffer, but that doesn't seem to work
> either. Maybe I am doing it wrong.

If you'd told us what parameters you have tried, then maybe we could have
told you...

> The specs are: Ultra 10 with 512 MB RAM a 9.1 GIG IDE HD and openboot
> version: 3.19

Specs of the video cards seem relevant here.

Please try if the instructions here can help you further:
http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.sparc/ch05s03.html#sparc-boot-problems

Alternatively, you could try an installation using serial console.

Cheers,
FJP

[0] lspci info: 0000:01:02.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc
    3D Rage I/II 215GT [Mach64 GT] (rev 9a)
[1] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/report-template