Re: Installing Debian on Ultrasparc III machines

On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 11:40:19PM +0200, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> kernel which works well - at least on out US III machine. We've applied
> 179c85ea53bef807621f335767e41e23f86f01df to make sure that the system
> doesn't create unkillable processes anymore if you use the libc6 from
> _lenny_. Please read the following
>
> WARNING: using the libc6 from Etch on an US III machine results in a
> freeze (badly, as in not reacting to stop+a/break) of your system if you
> do things like using aptitude after becoming root by the use of su/sudo.
> This is not that bad with the libc6 from testing, but this is definitely
> NOT fixed.

BTW, lebrun.d.o, also an USIII, running 2.6.23-rc6 plus the aforementioned
patch still created unkillable dpkg-query processes.

[root@lebrun:/home/buildd/build/chroot-unstable/lib]# ./libc-2.6.1.so
GNU C Library stable release version 2.6.1, by Roland McGrath et al.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Compiled by GNU CC version 4.2.1 (Debian 4.2.1-5).
Compiled on a Linux >>2.6.17-rc1<< system on 2007-09-04.
Available extensions:
        crypt add-on version 2.1 by Michael Glad and others
        GNU Libidn by Simon Josefsson
        Native POSIX Threads Library by Ulrich Drepper et al
        BIND-8.2.3-T5B
        software FPU emulation by Richard Henderson, Jakub Jelinek and others
<http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/bugs.html>.

Outside the chroot it's etch.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.