Re: Creation of Sparc (32-bit) port.

Hi,

>This has already been said a dozen of time, but it looks like some
>people do not understand. Let's try a last time.
>
>Creating a 32-bit sparc repository won't help. We already know that the
>32-bit sparc userland, is working correctly (apart for a dozen of
>packages, but that's fixable), as the *current* Debian sparc port has a
>*32-bit userland*.

As long as sparc userland gets build for v8, yes. Sooner or later, it
will get switched over to v9.

>The problem is that the 32-bit sparc kernel is not maintained and starts
>to not work correctly. There are huge differences in the privileged mode
>of sparc v8 and sparc v9, on the instructions, but mainly on the other
>parts of the CPU, like the MMU, SMP support or exception handling.
>That's why you can't use a 32-bit kernel on a 64-bit sparc, whereas most
>other 32-/64-bit architectures support that.

It may be not formally maintained, but there are patches being sent to
Dave Miller and to sparclinux@vger at a promising rate lately,

HTH,
Uli
--
Dipl. Inf. Ulrich Teichert|e-mail: Ulrich.Teichert@gmx.de
Stormweg 24               |listening to: Channel 13 Is Haunted (Hex Dispensers)