libmysqlclient15off - no /etc/hosts name resolution?

Hi all,
I noticed that specifying hostnames in /etc/hosts doesn't work with libmysqlclient15off on etch.
If I put hostnames/ip addresses in /etc/hosts and then use those hostnames in config files of tools that use libmysqlclient15off, connections fail. If I put IP address in those config files, everything goes well.

Is this a bug?

Some useful informations:
fracrist@radsrv1:~/$ uname -a
Linux radsrv1 2.6.18-4-sparc64 #1 Mon Mar 26 11:16:07 UTC 2007 sparc64 GNU/Linux
fracrist@radsrv1:~/$ dpkg -l | grep libmysql
ii  libmysqlclient15off               5.0.32-7etch1                   mysql database client library

Regards,
	Francesco.