Ultra Enterprise 3000k Installation

I can't get the installer to work on this server. With 3.1, the installer simply cannot find the CD drive. The scsi driver, esp, is loaded. I believe the cd-rom should be at scsi ID 6, I don't know how to tell the installer to "look here" though.

I also tried with a debian testing install CD. I get a kernel panic in this case:

Kernel panic: esp_handle: current_SC == penguin within interrupt!

Is there a way to get more information?

This corresponds to a block of code around line 4243 of the esp.c driver:
http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/lxr/source/drivers/scsi/esp.c#L4243

I don't know what to do about these problems. I've currently got Solaris 10 installed, but Debian would be preferrable.

Thanks,
Nathan