Re: Any progress?

On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 04:05:47PM +0200, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> On Monday 08 October 2007 13.10:24 Mario Iseli wrote:
> Hallo Mario,

Hi Adrian,

> As far as I know the list archives know everything about Debian Sparc32 that
> is there to know - there just is no activity.  This list has only 8
> subscribers right now, including me who doesn't have any SPARC hardware at
> all.

I already had a look at the archive before posting here, it isn't really a lot
uf useful information.

> On the kernel side:  The last few patches for SPARC32 that were applied to
> the kernel were from
>  * David S. Miller
>  * Mark Fortescue
>  * Robert Reif
>  * Alexander Shmelev
>  * Al Viro
> (all since 2.6.23rc1)

Ok, I'm not aware of any bigger problems with the kernel, I thought the problem
is primary the lack of sparc32-developers in Debian.

> I've no idea how much they effectively do - it might be just "oh, let's
> clean up this in that arch tree, too" stuff - or indeed how bad the
> problems on the kernel side are.

I will get in contact with some of those kernel developers and ask wait for some
good recommendations or hints. I have only my very very very old Sparcstation at
home, but I know some sparc-addicted NetBSD people which have tons of them. I
will ask them if they could provide me 2 or 3 of them and I will also try to use
my vitamine B at Sun Microsystems, maybe they have still some 32bit stuff which
they can donate.

So, who wants to help us?

(I CCed debian-sparc@l.d.o, maybe there are some other people who are interested
in rescuing the sparc32 arch)