Re: Porting help

On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 09:15:32PM +0200, Giasone wrote:
> Hi *,  i'm a Debian sparc user like you and i'm interesting on a Debian
> package porting on sparc platform. I want know how i can help in this hard
> work, and if on-line there are some document could help me in this
> operation. I try to find some information on the net but nothing. Somebody
> can help me to help you? I'm italian and for me it isn't a problem read in
> english or french but if it's possible i prefer italian paper. There is
> italian people in the developer team could help me? If not i could be the
> first ;-). Thank you and good work

Hi,

A useful thing to do would be to watch the sparc buildd status page at

http://buildd.debian.org/~jeroen/status/architecture.php?a=sparc

and investigate why particular packages fail to build. In most cases
it is some kind of transient failure, or package never was meant to be
built on sparc. In "interesting" cases porting effort is required. I
used to maintain the wiki page http://wiki.debian.org/SparcPorting
to coordinate the effort. I don't anymore, and it's horribly out of
date, so feel free to take over.

Best regards,
--
Jurij Smakov                                           jurij@wooyd.org