Re: Messy screen with ATI Mach64 on UltraIIi

Hernest wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to upgrade an UltraIIi from an old Aurora Linux (kernel 2.4.20)
to Debian Etch (2.6.18), but I cannot get a workable framebuffer using the
PCI video card on the system (an ATI Mach64 GT, see logs below).

I am booting with the Debian netinst CD, but at all resolutions I tried,
I always get a black verical stripe in the middle of the screen and sometimes
the right half of the screen remains black. The thing is barely usable as I cannot see most of the comman line. With 2.4.20 everything is OK.

If I disable the framebuffer (with video=atyfb:off fb boot option) the screen does not get messy, but the Debian menu is unusable, so I have to find a way
to make the fb to work.
I recall I saw this too - I think the default options will work - just keep hitting enter. Except when you get to the disk formatting. Switch to another terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F2) and use the command line fdisk. Some trial and error or good luck is involved.

jim