[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: GCC 4.2 transition

* Aurelien Jarno (aurelien@aurel32.net) [070721 00:33]:
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 10:48:32PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > * Aurelien Jarno (aurelien@aurel32.net) [070720 21:15]:
> > > We (glibc maintainers) plan to do a change in glibc first. We will drop
> > > libc6-sparcv9 and change the optimizations of libc6 to SPARC v9 from
> > > SPARC v8.
> > > 
> > > Doing it on the glibc first have the advantage that we can put a check
> > > in the preinst script to stop the installation on a SPARC v8 system. As
> > > libc6 is installed on all systems, that should prevent system breakages
> > > with SIGILL on random packages.
> > > 
> > > This is already implemented in the SVN, and we plan to do the upload on
> > > Sunday.

> > I hope this doesn't yet include another shlib bump (though it would be
> > good if the sparc v9 binaries have one).

> Given the current situation wrt the transitions, we won't bump the shlib, 
> though strictly speaking that should be necessary.

Actually, I would like to see an shlib bump before gcc is changed (so
that gcc and all binaries built by the new gcc depend on the new glibc).
However, I agree that it is currently a unfortunate time for such a

So, some ideas come to my mind:
1. delay glibc upload until glib transitioned to testing
2. do another upload with shlib bump after glib transitioned to testing,
and wait with gcc to that upload.

(there might be better combinations, but none comes currently to my


Reply to: