Re: Intention to drop sparc32 support for Lenny

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 12:00:24PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> The sparc32 port has been struggling for some time. Last month Jurij
> Smakov, currently the most active Debian Sparc porter, raised the question
> if support sparc32 should be dropped for Lenny [1].

Fine, as long as you provide 32-bit as well as 64-bit userland.  Otherwise
many programs will pay a substantial performance penalty, as pointer-heavy
programs double their memory and I/O requirements (and Sparc doesn't get
any compensating benefit the way x86-64 does from extra registers in
64-bit mode).

The GNU toolchain has extensive support for multilibs, and other Linux
distros can have 32-bit as well as 64-bit packages installed, but Debian
has traditionally forced people to use chroot to run 32-bit programs
on a 64-bit OS.