Re: Builds disturbed by the usage of a 64bit kernel.

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 12:13:34PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Starting from the observation that a pre-release debian pacakge of
> root-system and the current xaralx (non-free) pacakge fail to build
> from source on G5 powerpc machines but not on G4, I started to get
> worried that that kind of failures would be more widespread.
>
> The core of the problem is that the configure scripts sometimes mistake
> the build system type to be powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu instead of
> powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu. I am wondering similar things happen on sparc
> running a 32-bit userland with a 64-bits kernel, hence the crosspost.
>
> To investigate a bit more, I am rebuilding the maching with a cowbuildd,
> and in this email, I would like to give preliminary results before the
> week-end.

Interesting, notice that Andreas Jochens has gotten a serie of patches
applied to some packages for his pure-64 effort. I wonder if this effort
helps in this case, or causes problems.

Do you know what exactly is causing this problem ? Or could you list the
140 packages which you already detected to be problematic ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther