Re: Etch installation on Sun Blade 100 - magic for /etc/silo.conf needed

Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
Hello all,

A long and tortuous tale. A Sun Blade 100 which had a Debian Sarge installation on failed with initially lots of network errors occurring in the logs. An attempted upgrade in place to Etch failed for various reasons (mostly my user incompetence :( then the saga below followed.) [snipped]

Can anyone share the magic needed to get SILO to boot on one of these machines. Once we can boot it, we can amend silo.conf and carry on from there. A sarge bare basic install from CD ROM is also feasible if necessary.

Mine says:

root=/dev/hda2
partition=1
default=Linux
read-only
timeout=100

### Note that for 2.6.18, the CD Rom needs ide=nodma or the boot process
### hangs at any one of several points where the CD is accessed.
### You can use hdparm to turn DMA back on for the HDD once the system is up.

image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        initrd=/initrd.img
        append="video=atyfb:off ide=nodma" ### CDROM requires ide=nodma

image=/vmlinuz.old
        label=LinuxOLD
        initrd=/initrd.img.old

This was a clean etch install only a few days ago. The ide=nodma business may be your problem

Hugh

--

============S=u=p=p=o=r=t===D=e=b=i=a=n===http://www.debian.org =======
Dr. Hugh C. Pumphrey        | Tel. 0131-650-6026,Fax:0131-662-0478