Thank you for the Sun Fire v240 support!

Greetings,

I recently completed a successful installation of Debian Etch 4.0r0 on
my Sun Fire v240 - which went without a hitch over a serial connection..

well, the only sticking point was that the v240 eth0 as labeled on the back
of the machine wasnt the real eth0... it turned out I need to plug in to eth2
to get the Debian version of eth0.. an extremely minor annoyance.

I would like to express my gratitude to the Debian Sparc team for making this
a surprisingly pleasant and easy experience!

On a similar note, we are considering getting a Sun Fire T1000 system. I have read a lot about the press with
Ubuntu/Canonical + Sun - but was wondering if anyone could comment about
those vague "optimizations to Linux" made for the T1000, if they have "made it" in to Etch, and if I should stick with a sun fire V240 or if the T1000 is really going to be a significantly better performing machine (as a web/db server) under debian Etch sparc64 SMP

Thanks,

Matt

--
Matt Weatherford