Re: Dropping sparc32 for lenny

BERTRAND Joël wrote:

> 4/ The last 2.4 kernel that is _usable_ is the 2.4.21 if I remember. All
>   releases after this kernel are not usable for production workstations
> (on sparc32 [that randomly crash with 'watchdog error'] _and_ sparc64
> [that randomly freeze without any message]). I haven't found any stable
> kernel between 2.4.21 and 2.6.21-rc7. Thanks to Davem to the IOMMU/Sbus
> patch.

I suspect that that is critically dependant on the version of the compiler (and
possibly other toolchain elements) used for the kernel. Your earlier comment
about optimisations might be relevant- has something changed in the compiler
defaults or SPARC code generation during Sarge's lifetime?

My experience is that a SuperSparc-based SMP SS20 is rock-solid with 2.4.27 as
shipped. Compiling 2.4.3x for a sun4d- which should in principle work- sometimes
results in a kernel that will run long enough to recompile itself, other times
one of the CPUs locks up during init: I've not had time to try to track this
down in greater detail but I'm fairly sure it's to do with the exact version of
gcc etc.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk