Re: Dropping sparc32 for lenny

BERTRAND Joël wrote:

> 4/ The last 2.4 kernel that is _usable_ is the 2.4.21 if I remember. All
>   releases after this kernel are not usable for production workstations
> (on sparc32 [that randomly crash with 'watchdog error'] _and_ sparc64
> [that randomly freeze without any message]). I haven't found any stable
> kernel between 2.4.21 and 2.6.21-rc7. Thanks to Davem to the IOMMU/Sbus
> patch.

I suspect that that is critically dependant on the version of the compiler (and
possibly other toolchain elements) used for the kernel. Your earlier comment
about optimisations might be relevant- has something changed in the compiler
defaults or SPARC code generation during Sarge's lifetime?

My experience is that a SuperSparc-based SMP SS20 is rock-solid with 2.4.27 as
shipped. Compiling 2.4.3x for a sun4d- which should in principle work- sometimes
results in a kernel that will run long enough to recompile itself, other times
one of the CPUs locks up during init: I've not had time to try to track this
down in greater detail but I'm fairly sure it's to do with the exact version of
gcc etc.

Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk