Re: Dropping sparc32 for lenny

Ben Collins wrote:

> > [0] http://marc.info/?l=linux-sparc&m=117407830512186&w=2
> > [1] http://lists.auroralinux.org/pipermail/aurora-sparc-user/2007-
> March/004504.html
>

> In other words, make the move. Sparc32 community is definitely not what
> it used to be, and I'm doubting that anyone is seriously running 2.6.x
> kernels on sparc32 boxes anyway (if mine was still running, I'd be using
> 2.4.x for sure).

Here's my 2d-worth.

*  Smaller Sparc32 systems (up to sun4m) aren't up to running mainstream
   workloads, in particular GUI environments, although they're still fine as
   firewalls etc. One of the issues here is that they are typically limited
   to 512Mb RAM which by today's standard isn't much.

*  sun4d will handle more memory but in practice they're stuck at kernel
   2.2- my belief is that that's a combination of kernel and code-generation
   issues.

*  Too few people understand the underlying architecture. If DaveM says that
   work on the sparc32 kernel has stopped I doubt that anybody else is able
   to pick it up- apart from anything else I don't think that the available
   public information is adequate.

*  Quite frankly, I fear for the future of sparc64 for similar reasons.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk