Re: Ultra 1 speed as router?

Measuring speed through a cable modem is a really poor evaluation.  Is
the interface in full duplex or half, what other traffic on Comcast's
network or the Internet is interfering with your traffic?  Are you using
ICMP, TCP or UDP packets?  It matter's.

A better interface measurement would be to test the interface with a
file transfer internal to your network.  You might also look at traffic
shaping software (wondershaper) to improve throughput as well.

I'm using a Ultra 1 for this exact purpose.  I have a 4x10M card and a
4X100M card in the U1 (that I'm not using) and I haven't ever
experienced a speed issue that I would directly attribute to the U1.

I am using shorewall and also running openvpn on the U1.

Sean

--
If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its freedom;
and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money it values more, it