Re: New to Sparc Debian

On Monday 02 October 2006 10:03, Simon Tyler wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I will be brand new to Debian (been a suse man of late).
> However, I have aquired an ultra 60 and wondered what anyone thought of
> Debian running on this machine and if you have any advise before I
> trash it.

A U60, especially one with dual CPUs, is a great machine for Debian Linux.
I've used one for a couple of years with very few software problems and with
excellent driver compatibility.  I'm readying a second one to replace an old
X86-platform Debian server in my office.

I use the earlier one dual headed, with Creator and Elite framebuffers, a
couple of large (surplus) hard drives, a USB2 PCI card, an internal DVD-ROM
drive, and wide or narrow SCSI externals.  Currently it has an Ensoniq Audio
PCI card.  USB2 peripherals such as DVD burners, scanners, and hard drives
have worked too.

About the only thing I've ever had software problems with is onboard audio.  I
just drop in a cheap PCI card (currently Audio PCI, earlier a Yamaha YM744
card).

Enjoy!

-- SP