Re: Problems after dist-upgrade with kernel 2.6.17 in Sun blade 1k

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 08:44:37PM +0200, Luis Martinez wrote:
> Upgrading to this kernel leaves the blade unbootable, since ql2xxx
> module is used instead of qlogicfc to manage the FCAL disks.
> The module ql2xxx still does not work for the q logic controller on the
> Sun Blade 1000.

It has been pointed out by Gustavo Zacarias on the sparclinux mailing list that in
the new kernels the firmware, required for operation of this driver has been
factored out. The following is a the excerpt from the help text for the
SCSI_QLA_FC option in 2.6.18:

config SCSI_QLA_FC
        tristate "QLogic QLA2XXX Fibre Channel Support"
        depends on PCI && SCSI
        select SCSI_FC_ATTRS
        select FW_LOADER
        ---help---
        This qla2xxx driver supports all QLogic Fibre Channel
        PCI and PCIe host adapters.

        By default, firmware for the ISP parts will be loaded
        via the Firmware Loader interface.

        ISP               Firmware Filename
        ----------        -----------------
        21xx              ql2100_fw.bin
        22xx              ql2200_fw.bin
        2300, 2312, 6312  ql2300_fw.bin
        2322, 6322        ql2322_fw.bin
        24xx              ql2400_fw.bin

        Upon request, the driver caches the firmware image until
        the driver is unloaded.

        Firmware images can be retrieved from:

                ftp://ftp.qlogic.com/outgoing/linux/firmware/

I believe one of these files has to be placed into /lib/firmware directory and it
will be loaded automatically on modprobing the driver. That currently means that
installation from scratch on these machines is going to be tricky. There is
already a bug 390791, requesting to add these firmware files to initramfs. I'll
talk to the debian-installer team to see how this can be resolved/simplified for
installations.

Best regards,
--
Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org