Re: Installing new kernel 2.6.17 on Ultra5

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 23:53:50 -0700, Roman Shakin <rshakin@unixfreak.org> wrote:
> www.backports.com read it do it... also why exactly are you upgrading the
> kernel ? 2.4 is alot more stable for sparc atleast... I have a ultra 5 and
> I've had issues with 2.6 version kernels. backports have the 2.6 testing
> kernel on them somewhere you will be able to upgrade it using aptitude or
> apt

How truthful are the statements of Roman related to kernel 2.4 vs. 2.6. I rekall reading that Linus Torvalds is working on SPARC the last years, so I would say that it should be working quite well.

P.D.: I am with the latest 2.4 at the moment, but planning to junp to 2.6 soon.