Re: Installing new kernel 2.6.17 on Ultra5

Hugh,

I'm not in a position to try at the moment. I seem to recall that the hd was perhaps still active but I wasn't able to ping the ip over the net.

Your idea about the frame buffer certainly has merit as I've not built that many kernels and its possible I omitted to include the correct one as I started from nothing - no oldconfig.

I'll try it again next week when I have time.

Thank you

John

On 9/15/06, H C Pumphrey < H.C.Pumphrey@ed.ac.uk> wrote:
John wrote:

> I have just compiled a new kernel for my Ultra5 using Debian's
> kernel-package system.
>
> BootP gets to the point of 'Booting into Linux...' and stops. No error
> message nothing, just halts where it is! If I change vmlinuz to point at
> the old kernel it works fine.

It may be the thing that bit me a week or two ago of the framebuffer not doing
the right thing. Does the HD contine to grind and whir once the screen freezes
at 'Booting into Linux...' ? If you wait  a few minutes, can you log onto the
machine over the network from another machine? (Obviously this assumes you
have a network.)

This is a particularly likely thing to happen if your Ultra has two graphics
cards in (The U10s have a ATI one on the mobo, but often have a Sun Creator 3D
one in an expansion slot. 2.6 kernels may choose the opposite one to 2.4
kernels by default.) I guess it might also happen if you didn't build the
kernel with the appropriate framebuffer devices.

Hope this helps,

Hugh

--

============S=u=p=p=o=r=t===D=e=b=i=a=n===http://www.debian.org =========
Dr. Hugh C. Pumphrey          | Tel. 0131-650-6026,Fax:0131-662-0478