Re: Audio on my Sparc Ultra 5

On 3 Aug 2006, at 04:45, Andrea Modesto Rossi wrote:

Hello World,

i've a Sun Ultra 5 (360Mhz cpu with 256Mb Ram) and i work with Debian
Sarge...the system is Ok,good,but i cannot configure on-board device audio.
I install all ALSA pkg but with "alsaconf" Debian can't configure the
device ,i think taht there isn't the good module .

Where is the problem???

It *should* work... The Sun Ultra 5 uses a Sun CS4231, which is supported by ALSA 1.0.8. See:

http://www.music.columbia.edu/pipermail/linux-audio-announce/2005- January/000522.html

and use Ctrl+F to search for CS4231 (two separate mentions).

However, this exchange on debian-sparc last year suggests that the particular card used in Suns is not supported well by ALSA 1.0.8 (which is what is used in sarge). I can confirm that it works well with ALSA 1.0.11 (which is what is used in etch):

audio and dri with ultra 60
http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2005/01/msg00119.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2005/01/msg00121.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2005/01/msg00128.html