Re: X.org and kernel problems on SunBlade 100

On Wed, 5 Jul 2006, Steve Pacenka wrote:

That rings a bell.  I assume you're using Xorg 7.0.  Did you end up with
xserver-xorg-video-ati installed?  (That one is not missing from Etch, unlike
sunffb sunleo et al.)  If not, apt-get install it.

All the sun* xorg drivers have appeared in unstable with today's dinstall run.

I don't think I've ever had that generate a completely working conf for any
Sparc.

I've looked into the problem. It's not very good. ATM xorg uses discover or discover2 to find the graphic card and the corresponding driver, and no major changes to this theme are planned until after etch release. Neither of them is capable of finding non-PCI cards (such as UPA). So at the moment the easiest solution is to write a little script to parse the output of prtconf and output the needed xorg driver, it can then be wired into the xorg detection magic. I've discussed it with David Nusinow, and he does not have any objections to this approach. Any volunteers? :-)

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org