Re: X.org and kernel problems on SunBlade 100

On Wednesday 05 July 2006 10:33, Daniel Liikamaa wrote:
> I've managed to install Debian etch on my SunBlade 100, but now I can't
> get X to work properly. I've set the resolution to 1600x1200 in
> xorg.conf, but when I start X, the resolution is set do 320x240 or
> something like that, it's not pretty. The only error message I get is
> "Module mach64 not found", when it tries to load a kernel module (?!).
> The graphics card is an ATI Rage XL, the standard card for these machines.
> How can I get it to show decent resolutions?

That rings a bell.  I assume you're using Xorg 7.0.  Did you end up with
xserver-xorg-video-ati installed?  (That one is not missing from Etch, unlike
sunffb sunleo et al.)  If not, apt-get install it.

The X server should not trigger loading of kernel modules; it does load its
own driver modules.

Here is a working xorg.conf for an Ultra 5's onboard video, which also uses
the ati driver:

    http://wri.cfe.cornell.edu/sparc/u5-xorg7-xorg.conf

> Also, to make the Type6 USB keyboard work properly in X, do I have patch
> the source and then compile x.org by myself? This is the only solution
> I've come across when googleing.

Does your keyboard work without X?  If it does, the kernel should be able to
supply X with the right keycodes.  Kernels 2.6.x remap all non-PC keyboards
to PC types.  A type 5 keyboard turns out to map to pc105 (who would've thunk
it?).  You could try the xorg keyboard section in my xorg.conf for U5.

> My xorg.conf file is generated with the Xorg -configure command.

I don't think I've ever had that generate a completely working conf for any
Sparc.

My xorg.conf was generated via the deb installation (except for the keyboard
section).  Did you try:

    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

-- SP