Ultra 10 boot issues

All:

I can really use your help, please. I've been looking for the answer to this for the past few days, and am unable to find one.

I installed from the same Woody CDs I installed my other Ultra 10. Woody came up fine.

I switched from "stable" to "unstable" [same as on the other U10], and ran apt-get update then apt-get dist-upgrade.

The 2.4.27 kernel was installled as part of the update. I am unable to boot from it. I don't have the error messages available right now.

I added the 2.6.8 and 2.6.15 kernels, and am unable to boot those either.

Silo comes up fine, I select the version of the kernel to boot up, and then I get the following output.

The addresses are slightly different, but the messages are similar:
From 2.6.8:
Illegal Instruction
ok

From 2.6.15:
Allocated 8 Megs of memory at 0x40000000 for kernel
Uncompressing Image
Loaded kernel version 2.6.15
Illegal Instruction
ok

I've tried building from the 2.6.15 source package, but with or without an initrd image, I get the same results (i.e. Illegal Instruction).

I've had a look at the boot code, but I don't see anything that matches the existing output such that I could add some print statements to figure out what is going wrong.

Any suggestions? Is this a known issue? I've not seen anything in the bug reports to indicate that it is.

Thank you.

Cheers,
Dave