Re: Ultra 10 processor support

On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 14:56 +0000, Chris Andrew wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> I have a 333 Ultra 10.  I was just wondering whether it is possible to
> add more processors.  I think the max speed processor I can get is
> 440, but 2 processors (or more) would be good.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris

If you're looking for Linux performance improvements in a U10, your
processor is already pretty good.  Getting the box up to 512M or 1G
memory, or replacing the IDE hard drive with an ultra/wide SCSI one
(along with a bootable PCI SCSI controller), could improve speed also,
depending on where your bottlenecks are.  The internal IDE controller is
not very fast, and if you're using a lot of swap due to not having much
memory you're paying a double penalty.

If your applications would benefit mainly from dual CPUs, and if you
don't need PCI, a 2x296 MHz Ultra 2 might be acquirable at a low price.
I got one for US$69 once with 256M RAM, Creator graphics card, and CD.

-- SP