Re: printer on parport

On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 00:19 +0000, Martin wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 12:05 +0900, Atsuhito Kohda wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > (I'm not subscribe this list, so please Cc me too)
> >
> > I've UltraSparc Ultra5, with memory 128Mb, UltraSPARC-IIi 270MHz
> > with sarge (but kernel is 2.6.12-1-sparc64).
> >
> > I recently connect a canon printer on parport and try to
> > use it.  But it seems it might be impossible to use a printer
> > connected to parport on UltraSparc/Sparc.
> >
> > * Is there anyone who can use a printer connected to parport
> > on UltraSparc/Sparc ?
> >
> > * dmesg shows me the following messeges;
> > kernel BUG at include/asm/parport.h:33!
> >               \|/ ____ \|/
> >               "@'/ .. \`@"
> >               /_| \__/ |_\
> >                  \__U_/
> > bash(2859): Kernel bad sw trap 5 [#1]
> >
> > Does this mean one can't use a parport printer on UltraSparc/Sparc?
> There are some oddities with the driver for parallel ports on Sun
> machines.  Check the archives - there have been a few discussions on
> this which may help.
>
> > * Is there any chance to use a printer if one connect it
> > with usb port ?
> I've got this to work in the past but CUPS can be a bit odd at times and
> some of the kernel translation code (32 bit to 64 bit) for some USB
> ioctls and URBs wasn't finished last time I looked.  Compiling the apps
> in 64 bit mode may get aorund this if it is a problem for you.  YMMV.
>
> Cheers,
>  - Martin

This may or may not be helpful; however in my case, on an Ultra 60,
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_FIFO causes printing to not work.  Compiling this
option out makes it work.

It's a shame, really -- outside of this flaw, the shipped kernel works
flawlessly (and for myself, I would have enjoyed the feature of not
having to recompile on kernel updates).