Re: printer on parport

On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 12:05 +0900, Atsuhito Kohda wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> (I'm not subscribe this list, so please Cc me too)
>
> I've UltraSparc Ultra5, with memory 128Mb, UltraSPARC-IIi 270MHz
> with sarge (but kernel is 2.6.12-1-sparc64).
>
> I recently connect a canon printer on parport and try to
> use it.  But it seems it might be impossible to use a printer
> connected to parport on UltraSparc/Sparc.
>
> * Is there anyone who can use a printer connected to parport
> on UltraSparc/Sparc ?
>
> * dmesg shows me the following messeges;
> kernel BUG at include/asm/parport.h:33!
>               \|/ ____ \|/
>               "@'/ .. \`@"
>               /_| \__/ |_\
>                  \__U_/
> bash(2859): Kernel bad sw trap 5 [#1]
>
> Does this mean one can't use a parport printer on UltraSparc/Sparc?
There are some oddities with the driver for parallel ports on Sun
machines.  Check the archives - there have been a few discussions on
this which may help.

> * Is there any chance to use a printer if one connect it
> with usb port ?
I've got this to work in the past but CUPS can be a bit odd at times and
some of the kernel translation code (32 bit to 64 bit) for some USB
ioctls and URBs wasn't finished last time I looked.  Compiling the apps
in 64 bit mode may get aorund this if it is a problem for you.  YMMV.

Cheers,
 - Martin