Re: sparc developer machines

On Thursday 02 February 2006 08:20, Nathan Ollerenshaw wrote:
> I have a Sun Blade 1000 with Dual 650Mhz Ultrasparc III CPUs and
> 512MB ram (trying to source more ram at the moment) with 250GB
> firewire drive. Its plugged into a 100mbit FTTH link located in my
> home. The link is very stable, i've only had about 4 hours downtime
> in the past year.

You need to make the offer to the Debian System Administrators [1], not
the debian-sparc list. That said, I doubt doubt your kind offer will be
accepted as is because, although the specs of the system are very nice,
the hosting does not conform with the standards DSA generally looks for.

DSA in general looks for a company sponsored, long-term commitment with
the systems hosted in the company's data center. There are exceptions,
but these are mainly among the "slower" ports.

Please email DSA with your offer, especially if you see possibilities for
alternative hosting.
You should also be aware that hosting an official developer system means
that _all_ Debian developers will get an account on the box by default.

An alternative is to host the machines yourself and make them available to
individual developers.
Or of course, if you can spare some time yourself, to perform periodic
installation tests and follow kernel upgrades and thus help by
reporting/tracing/fixing issues.

Cheers,
Frans Pop

[1] debian-admin_at_lists.debian.org