Re: Ultra 80 hanging

On Feb 2, 2006, at 3:34 PM, Andy Holt wrote:

Memory in Sparc hardware is installed in pairs.
                             ^ usually.

On the Ultra 60 and, I am fairly sure, 80 it needs to be in sets of 4
identical. The Ultra 30 will take pairs but "prefers" sets of 4.

You and Patrick are dead right I'm sure... I never had to do the deed with any of those machines so it never stuck in my mind.

I vaguely remember something similar with E4500s. The CPU boards have one side with like 16 slots for RAM, and I think you install in sets of 4?

As an aside, I was having trouble building/booting a Sun Blade 1000. I finally succeeded with the image from here:

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-sparc/beta1/ images/sparc64/netboot/2.6/

Hopefully this will help someone googling for 'Sun Blade 1000', 'debian', 'install', 'Fast Access MMU Miss' and 'Remapping the kernel...'.

Can someone PLEASE fix the boot CD so that you do not need to set up a rarpd server on your lan?

Willing to guinea pig for a developer wanting to fix it. :)

Nathan.