Re: Problems booting Sun Blade 100

On Mon, 2006-12-25 at 11:57 +0100, Holger Wansing wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would be appreciated if someone could give me some help:
>
> There is an installation report (please refer to
> for detailed info) on a Sun Blade 100 machine.
>
> This machine doesn't boot with recent daily builds of the
> debian-installer (2.6.17 or 2.6.18 kernels). Boot up hangs
> at "Booting linux ..".

i have issues with .17 on 'blade 150's

> Frans Pop suggested to try with boot argument
> "video=atyfb:off", but the bugreport submitter wrote me,
> that he is unable to give additional boot parameters, because
> he don't know where the cursor actually is and there are messed
> up characters on the screen.

i didnt get anyware when i tried that parameter, but i dindnt get a
garbled screen.

> (I am partly unsure about what he's talking, he is not very
> precise with his comments and his english is a problem as well,
> I think. As I don't own a sparc machine, I cannot try this out.)
>

> This machine contains Openfirmware, correct?

yes. 2.x

> Are there problems known ahout this (messed up display etc.)?
>
> Can someone give me instructions how to add additional boot
> parameters to that machine? Are there any special things to
> note?

i will pick up my sunblade 100 shell when i get home tomorrow (i
stripped it for parts to build two 150's).
that means in about 24 hours i can start providing testing if you need.
(hm... i might need to get dayly isos as well, not the 1.5 month old one
i'm using now).

kk
Karl

> Thanks a lot
>
> Holger

i sent an email a few days ago to this list, dont remember if it came
through though. it meantions some of the issues i had iirc.
kk