Re: X question

On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 08:14 -0700, Earl Violet wrote:
> I have Debian stable installed on a Tatung COMPstationU10. If I do a
> shutdown -r now or shutdown -h now, upon rebooting X won't load.
> However, if I turn off the master power and turn it on switch X will
> load. This isn't a real problem, just a curiosity.

I recall something similar happening with an Ultra AXi I was playing
with.  X in woody worked fine but after upgrading to sarge X only worked
every other time the machine booted (regardless of whether it was -r, -h
or poweroff).  When it worked it was fine, when it didn't restarting X
worked and then everything worked as normal.  As far as I could tell it
was something to do with initialisation of the graphics card (an ATI
mach based PCI board) but I never got far enough with diagnosing the
problem to submit a full bug report.

HTH

Cheers,
 - Martin