Re: Please test new SILO - problems with CDROM booting may be fixed

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006, Matthew Pease wrote:

Hi

Just tried the iso, no luck for me. Here is the last little bit of the startup:

[ ENTER - Boot install ]   [ Type "expert" - Boot into expert mode ]
                          [ Type "rescue" - Boot into rescue mode ]
boot: expert
Allocated 8 Megs of memory at 0x40000000 for kernel
Uncompressing image...
Loaded kernel version 2.6.16
Illegal Instruction
ok

Hi Matt,

Thanks for testing. The fix I've mentioned addresses the problem with silo
crashing much earlier in the boot process, so you are hitting something else here. I would recommend to try and netboot the machine, this usually allows to work around silo quirks, since then it's not involved in booting the kernel at all.

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org