Installing Debian on an Ultra 5

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 12:55:56PM +0100,
 Kevin Fullerton <kevin.fullerton@shotgun-suicide.co.uk> wrote
 a message of 114 lines which said:

> The serial port marked A on the Ultra 5 is a DB25 Female, and the
> serial port marked B is a DB9 Male.

I never used the Ultra 5 but it looks close from the Ultra 10.

> 1) Do I have to connect to serial A or B on the Ultra 5, or doesn't it
> matter

It depends on the setup of the Sun. A is the default, but may be the
previous owner changed to B.

There is no automatic fallback from A to B.

If you want to use B and have no screen but a keyboard, you can type:

STOP-A (to go to the console)
setenv output-device ttyb
setenv input-device ttyb
reset

See http://www.ultralinux.org/faq.html#q_5_23

> 2) Will a standard DB9->DB25 serial null modem cable work for
> connecting to A, or a standard DB9->DB9 for connecting to B

Yes