Re: Ultra 10 boot issues

In article <[🔎] 44221FDA.8010108@hoosieradsl.com> barnetda@hoosieradsl.com writes:
>All:
>
>I can really use your help, please.  I've been looking for the answer to
>this for the past few days, and am unable to find one.
>
>I installed from the same Woody CDs I installed my other Ultra 10.
>Woody came up fine.
>
>I switched from "stable" to "unstable" [same as on the other U10], and
>ran apt-get update then apt-get dist-upgrade.

Skipping releases is not supported, you need to first upgrade from woody
(oldstable) to sarge (stable).  In particular, you should have a sarge
silo and kernel before trying to update to unstable.

>The 2.4.27 kernel was installled as part of the update.  I am unable to
>boot from it.  I don't have the error messages available right now.
>
>I added the 2.6.8 and 2.6.15 kernels, and am unable to boot those either.

>Any suggestions?  Is this a known issue?  I've not seen anything in the
>bug reports to indicate that it is.

Woody sparc kernels did not use initrd, sarge and later ones do.  You
need to add the documented initrd paramater to your silo file when
upgrading.  When you install a kernel that needs this, you should get
a warning.

--
Blars Blarson			blarson@blars.org
				http://www.blars.org/blars.html