Audio and MIDI

Hi all,

I'm looking to get back into music recording. Audio and MIDI on Linux has moved on a lot in the last couple of years, and I'm ready to ditch my investment in Cubase as the Linux tools look very much the part now and of course, upgrades are free. :) Apps like jack, ardour, hydrogen and muse, are just the ticket.

I was thinking how it might be cool to build my new DAW on e.g. an Ultra 10. I used one of these running Solaris in an old programming job for two years, and it was great. They are now on ebay quite cheap.

My basic needs are:
USB 2.0 PCI interface with hard disk for audio data (SCSI disks of the capacity I need cost too much) and alsa-compliant audio/MIDI interface.
(Possible) 802.11b PCI card
(Possible) PCI video card to run xinerama
(Possible) SATA PCI card.  Can an Ultra 10 boot from such?

I have scanned the archives of this list, and haven't been put off yet. Is anyone doing this? Anything I should know? ;)

Antony

PS I was also tempted by a SGI Octane but that is just too nuts.  :D