Re: What about: Debian cuts platform support

On Saturday 07 January 2006 11:46, amadesani@libero.it wrote:
> It isn't the first time that I read news like this and I try to
> understand exatly what daes mean.

That summary is an overstatement of what's happening. The exclusion means
that those archs will not be included in the official release, or rather
that problems with them will not be allowed to hold up the release
process for other architectures. It does not mean that those
architectures will be dropped completely from Debian.

What will happen in the long term remains to be seen. There is a very
simple solution though: more active involvement from people who care in
those ports [1], especially in resolving kernel and porting issues and
maintenance of architecture specific software (like bootloaders).

Cheers,
FJP

[1] Although that is unlikely to solve the issues for m68k as the basic
problem there is speed of the build daemons.