Re: installing adaptec aaccli ?

On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 01:13 +0100, Paul Cobbaut wrote:
> Paul Cobbaut wrote:
> <cut>
> >
> > The problem is that i have no tools to manage the sata
> > disks. I would like to install aaccli form adaptec,
> > but can't get the setup to work...
> > (I downloaded asmbe_linux_v1.20.011.tgz from Adaptec.)
>
> this question is answered :-/
>
> root@pasha:~/adaptec# file libgdk-1.2.so.0
> libgdk-1.2.so.0: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), stripped
>
> Is there a way to manage the raid5 disks ?
> (without putting them in an intel computer)

I'm guessing that you are using the (hardware) RAID-5 mode on the SATA
controller rather than software RAID.

If the only controller app is compiled software and not available /
cannot be built on sparc then there are likely to be no easy solutions.
If the interface to the card is standardised in any form you might be in
luck, althought I've never heard of a standard for this sort of thing
(which is a shame really).  Having a word with the folks who wrote the
Linux driver might prove helpful.  If they have a Solaris/sparc version
you might be able to persuade it to run under the Solaris emulation mode
(never tried it myself but don't see why, in principle, it shouldn't
work).

Beyond that you are into serious hacking.  Depending on how it talks to
the card you might be able to use Qemu to emulate an x86 enough or you
might be able to work out enough (run under x86 and strace?) to hack
together a quick replacement.  If all else fails you could reverse
engineer the control app and re-implement - I'd strongly recommend
looking at Boomerang ( http://boomerang.sf.net/ ) if you choose this
route; but I'm guessing this is several orders of magnitude more effort
than you wanted to go to.

Cheers,
 - Martin