Re: Sparc Station 20 and Etch

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 02:26:47PM -0000, Andrew, Chris Mr wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> Just subscribed to the list after being off it for 6 months plus.
>
> Has anybody managed to install Etch on A SS20?
>
> I do "boot cdrom", CDROM boots, start the install, all looking good,
> then installer tries to detect my CDROM (that I booted from), and
> prompts me for modules.  I have tried all the options, but no luck.
>
> BTW, I booted the default Etch kernel.  It's quite annoying, because my
> Sparc only likes new media, not CDRW's....so getting through some disks.
>
> BTW, I reported this twice as a bug, but no acknowledgement, so not sure
> if being addressed.   Next plan could be a Sarge install (no probs),
> then maybe see if "apt-get dist-upgrade" works.  I've never tried this.

On an SS20 - I had Etch running for a while IIRC.  Best plan is probably
to do an absolutely minimum Sarge install, then change your sources.list
and do an apt-get update ; apt-get dist-upgrade. This works for me
almost every time on any machine I try it: the trick is to have as
little as possible installed as you upgrade and add it gradually
thereafter. If you need to install 1000 packages: install 200 and add
the rest 50 at a time: takes longer but is generally much less error
prone :)

Andy